13 December 2011

A Lovely Love Letter...


Well...I missed Literature Lunes due to finals madness, but here is a lovely love letter from Lewis Carroll to May Mileham. I hope it makes up for my tardiness! That Carroll sure was a sillilly creative young fellow! (Sillilly would be a cool word...)
Peace out like a trout!
J.

6 September 1885
7 Lushington Road, Eastbourne

Dearest May,

     Thank you very much indeed for the peaches. They were delicious. Eating one was almost as nice as kissing you: of course not quite: I think, if I had to give the exact measurement, I should say 'three-quarters as nice'. We are having such a lovely time here; and the sands are beautiful. I only wish I could some day come across you, washing your pocket-handkerchief in a pool among the rocks! But I wander on the beach, and look for you, in vain: and then I say, 'Where is May?' And the stupid boatmen reply, 'It isn't May, sir! It's September!' But it doesn't comfort me. 

Always your loving
                                             C.L.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment