29 November 2011

Wilde about you...


Mr. Wilde himself (photo found here)

Oh Oscar Wilde...so clever, so humorous, so wonderful, so wilde!

My dearest deer friend just sent me an email of what good ol' Oscar said on his deathbed and I strongly felt the need to share:
"Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Now that is impressive...someone who can be humorous even in the face of death!


Caitlin and myself kissing his grave in Paris

The Picture of Dorian Gray is one of my favorite books. It is a fascinating plot and gives you plenty to think about! You should see my copy, it is kind of embarrassing how much is underlined. Almost every word that Lord Henry spoke is noted...he gets me :)

Anywhooo...here are some of my favorites from Lord Henry...

"There are many things that we would throw away if we were not afraid that others might pick them up."

"Always! That is a dreadful word. It makes me shudder when I hear it. Women are so fond of using it. They spoil every romance by trying to make it last forever.
It is a meaningless word too. The only difference between a caprice and a life-long passion is that the caprice lasts a little longer."

"What they call their loyalty, and their fidelity, I call either lethargy of custom or their lack of imagination. Faithfulness is to the emotional life what consistency is to the life of the intellect- simply a confession of failure."

"When one is in love, one always begins by deceiving one's self, and one always ends by deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance."

No comments:

Post a Comment